[Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 226, Issue 23

Alan Ibbetson alan at g3xaq.net
Mon Oct 25 12:32:53 EDT 2021

More armchair theory...

Rich Measures (SK) wrote extensively about this last century for "tubes
with handles". The "trick" is to use a roller coaster coil in the grid
circuit to resonate with the Cin of the valve. Strays in the un-un and 450
ohm resistor are absorbed when the coil is tuned for minimum input SWR.

See the section on "Tuned Input Circuits for Neutralized, Class AB1
Grid-Driven Operation" here

http://www.somis.org/D-amplifiers4.html

and the outline circuit diagram here

http://www.somis.org/D_a_05.GIF

I would be inclined to use a biggish core (FT240, maybe even two stacked?)
of type 43 ferrite and a tightly twisted trifilar winding with "just
enough" turns to satisfy the Bmax flux density limit on 80m. It will
probably be necessary to add compensation capacitance across the 50 ohm
winding as well to mitigate the effects of leakage inductance. 80-10m
operation is quite a challenging wide frequency range.

73, Alan G3XAQ

--
Alan Ibbetson
alan at g3xaq.net