[Amps] High Power Combiners

jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net jim.thom at telus.net
Thu Apr 28 10:55:15 EDT 2022

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:33:57 +0000 (UTC)
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx at yahoo.com>
To: Amplifiers <amps at contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] High Power Combiners

<I wonder if anyone on the list has info on how to build a high power
combiner. I have <a friend that will soon have two Mercury III amps and I
suggested that he might want <to look into combining their output.
<I am aware that ACOM has such a device but it is very expensive? and is
more than <is needed.
<73 Dennis W0JX

You might want to check out the  RF  SSPA Builders FB page.  They have it
down to a fine art.   Ask there.  Some pretty sharp and talented folk on
there.

Basically you want a broadband low power splitter, with a 50 ohm input and
a 25 ohm output (the 2 x 50 ohm cables in parallel = 25 ohms) that drives
the input of each merc-3.

The broadband high power combiner is  25 ohms in...and  50 ohms out.  Same
deal, the 25 ohms on the input side consist of 2 x 50 ohm cables in
parallel.

OM power makes a 3 x way splitter +  3 x way combiner, but it's stupid
priced...rated for 10 kw.... and uses a 7-16 on the output of the
combiner.

2 x Merc-3's and a splitter / combiner is an expensive 3db, but it is
doable.

The german B26 amp will do 1.5 kw on data modes, and comes with a built in
auto tuner + pin diode QSK....aprx  $5K.   That would be cheaper than 2 x
merc 3's + a splitter / combiner.  And you still would not have a 2 kw
rated auto tuner, nor QSK.

Jim  VE7RF