[Amps] Cleaning and lubrication of ribbon variable coil

c miller c_miller_1 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 14 13:33:08 EDT 2022

There is some background in the link below here, but basically there is no harm.

http://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

Also, silicone grease is used in both the automotive and in the communication industry to prevent water getting into connections that carry signals.  For RF at power, you do have to avoid placing it in areas that arc, like relay contacts.  There is no insulating effect as there is no ability for the lubricant to develop thickness via a 'hydroplane effect' like you have in high-speed rotating bearings.  The pressure of the contacts in connectors, or the sheer weight of the components will squeeze the film out of the way of the contact point.  Small amounts go a long way.

As a side note there is, in one of the threads in this group, a product that also has a component added to it that helps reduce the impedance bump in connectors by flooding the air spaces and replacing it with a more closely matching material to the center insulation.  It also does not interfere with the electrical contacts of the connection.  STUF it is called, however it is likely excessive for our needs in most cases.

As Rob said below, the roller/ribbon contact area would not need lube.  This area should self clean due to the wiping action of the roller against the ribbon, once your maintenance is complete.

<http://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm>Chris
VE3CEA