[Amps] Powering NOS 8874's ?

Steve Bookout steve at nr4m.com
Thu Aug 18 14:46:47 EDT 2022

I assume others have answered you already.

If it were me, I would maybe leave the plate caps off and run it for a
long day, with just the filaments and blower.  Just no plate voltage.
(but, Plate voltage is not a bad thing unless there is some internal
problem with the tube anyway.)  I have heard many times over the years,
metal/ceramic tubes with 'getter', or 'self-getter' with just the
filaments running.  This burns off any impurities that may have been in
the tubes from dis-use.

If it were a glass tube like 3-500's, you would need to run them with
some plate voltage with the plates slightly red, in order to accomplish
the same thing.  Glass tubes are intended to be run red at their full
output, for the 'health' of the tube.

Metal/ceramic just do it differently

Steve NR4M