[Amps] .01uf caps across diodes ?

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Mon Dec 12 01:32:29 EST 2022

Hi Tim,
I’ve followed this debate for years and frankly I don’t think adding
.01uF caps across each diode in a diode string makes much difference
one way or the other. It’s true that there will be some suppression of
fast current and voltage transients, but these aren’t likely to cause
damage to modern components. To me the downside of the practice is
that adding 0.01uF caps results in additional opportunities for
capacitor failures, loose solder connections, unsightly wiring, and a
bunch of extra components that provide minimal benefits. I’m inclined
to leave them out. (BTW, one commenter suggested that sharp voltage or
current spikes wouldn’t make it through the filter capacitors. That’s
untrue because the filter caps have a self inductance that keeps them
from filtering spikes with high frequency components. )
73,
Jim W8ZR

Sent from my iPhone