[Amps] Noisy relay

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Mon Dec 12 01:47:31 EST 2022

Hi Tim, Yes a clamping diode will slow down the release time of a dc
relay. The time constant (release time) is approximately L/R, where L
is the relay coil inductance and R is the coil resistance. If the
release time is objectionable, it can be shortened by adding a zener
diode (typically with a zener voltage roughly equal to the power
supply voltage in series with the clamping diode.
73,
Jim W8ZR
Sent from my iPhone