[Amps] Requesting opinions on a Drake L-4b's tubes

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sun Dec 25 16:28:20 EST 2022

The Collins 828C1, and Continental 314R1 1kW medium wave transmitter
used a single 3-500Z as a switch tube running at 70 KHz switching
frequency for pulse width modulated AM. It was very picky of the type of
tube, and required component changes if switching to a graphite anode
tube to prevent disasters. So apparently there are differences in the
tubes. Maybe not subtle when paired in parallel in ham amplifiers?

http://www.jtml.info/

73

John

K5PRO