[Amps] Measuring PT-2500A High Voltage

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 10:51:18 EST 2022

First, thanks for the suggestion/schematics for low voltage PTT. I have
that working now.

Seems like the HV on my PT-2500A might be low. The meter shows only 2700
volts in standby. But how do I know that is telling the truth ? The circuit
is straightforward - A voltage divider consisting of 1 megaohm and 10K
going between + and - on a filter cap. The 10K is a pot to calibrate the HV
meter. Could be that the HV is okay, but the calibrate pot needs tweaking ?
It's also interesting that the 1 megaohm is tapped off the first of 5
filter capacitors. That makes the assumption that the voltage drop across
each capacitor/bleeder resistor is equal.

To make some measurements, I am thinking of putting 12 volts on the
transformer primary and see what the B+ looks like. Yes, there's still some
pretty high voltages, but it seems a lot safer than trying to measure 3 KV
directly. Any other suggestions ?

Anyone know what the secondary voltage of the HV transformer is supposed to
be ?

Thanks and 73,
Steve, N2IC