[Amps] Chinese Tubes VTU 4CX1000

hp pfizenmayer at q.com
Wed Feb 9 17:46:18 EST 2022

Anecdotal - Bought 8410 -mid 2014 -came with 2 VTU-4CX1000s Chinese variety - in 2 weeks one filament opened - ALPHA sent me another - about a year later one started popping over just sitting there idling which blew cathode resistors - I put new resistors in -same deal every few weeks -(of course after warranty was over) --

ALPHA could not get more 4CX1000s and I did not see any source I particularly wanted to risk. So we worked out a deal to get two 4CX1500s and ALPHA would burn them in for me before shipping. Those 4CX1500s have been trouble free- for about 6 years or so - fingers crossed.

I had no way to see which of the VTU-4CX1000s was bad -could not find anyone locally with a hipot at a sane price.

ALPHA suggested I try the tubes one at a time - I could not see waiting whatever time it took to have the bad one identified and replace the cathode resistors again. About a year ago I gave them to a guy in Tuscon -he sent them to a rebuild facility company in Florida who reported that yes one was fine still met specs but the other one was marginal breakdown -still usable if you wanted to suffer the consequences or run at lower plate voltage.

So guess thats 2 out of 3 4CX1000s were bad in first 2 years.
Now you must factor in my "Lucky Pierre"factor -

FWIW -

Hank K7HP