[Amps] 8877

Carl Braun Carl.Braun at cattron.com
Sun Jan 23 14:32:40 EST 2022

Bill

Buying 8877s could be a crapshoot but the recent (used) tubes I’ve purchased have been spot on with the descriptions given to me by the sellers. I’ve been lucky!

I received detailed reports from the sellers that have placed the individual tubes into an AL1500 amp and provided input/output wattage readings along with grid readings.

The BEST way of ensuring any ceramic tubes are good is to send them to a company in Brooksville, Florida that offers testing services. You can contact them directly or purchase the service on eBay. The idea here is to get a cooperative seller that is willing to ship the tube(s) there for testing thus providing both parties a real health report on the tube(s). The service is fairly economical but the shipping and insurance is a little pricey. Well worth the peace of mind. If you have a tube seller that isn’t willing to do this, tell them to take a hike.

I have an Alpha 77 and owned a 9500 as well. Get a good tube plus a spare and you’ll be good til you croak. The 9500 won’t let you burn up a tube.

My last suggestion is to buy an Eimac tube. They are far superior to the Chinese tubes in my humble opinion.  I try and buy as little Chinese junk as possible.

Plan C is to buy a brand new Eimac from Richardson. They are at $2300 each. Otherwise, good used Eimac 8877s range from $600 to $1200 each.

Good Luck
Carl W9LF