[Amps] Centrifugal Blowers

Byron Tatum bjtatum1 at att.net
Wed Jan 26 19:11:39 EST 2022

Hello-   Anyone in our group have knowledge of replacing the motor on a centrifugal cooling blower? I have been rebuilding a few RF decks made in the 1970's by Scientific Radio for the SR-416A transmitter. These RF decks are a copy of the Eimac W6PO 144 Mhz design using 8877 tube. They use a Kooltronics blower with 5" wheel and square outlet with mounting hole centers 2-5/8" apart in a square pattern. I have bearing noise and vibration in a few of my motors. The motors are sealed bearing Kooltronic #7162-082 type U62, 115 VAC @ 1.55 amp, using 4 ufd capacitor. 2850 RPM at 50 Hz, 3400 RPM at 60 Hz.    After looking at prices of replacement blowers/motors I was shocked. Can I replace the bearings in these motors? Or just buy new motors somewhere? I really do not need the performance of these blowers, the transmitters were running at 1 KW 24/7 and I am just doing SSB/CW. Sure could stand to reduce the blower noise some.   Thanks,Byron W5FH