[Amps] 8877 Grid Current

David G4FTC g4ftc at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 11:23:38 EST 2022

Hi Byron,

I have a homebrewed 2m W6PO amp built to the dimensions given in the original W6PO article. I run it with an HT of about 3700V under load.

The grid current and efficiency is very dependent upon the degree of output coupling/ loading and the output power.

If you want to run 1500 Watts output you will need heavier loading to minimise grid current than you would need, say, for running 500 Watts.

Conversely if you want to run 500 Watts output, to improve efficiency you will need a lighter loading. However, if you then try to run 1500W output under those lighter loading conditions, the grid current will be excessive.

The amp can run at 500 Watts when heavily loaded (such as when set for 1500W output) and the grid current will be minimal (~ zero) , but the efficiency will be poor.

BTW the W6PO input circuit is a ******* to adjust to an acceptable input SWR. In the end I gave up and built an external PI network in a small diecast box which coupled to the amp via a short length of coax. With this PI network I can trim the input to give a 1:1 SWR. Your figure of 1500Watts output with 50 Watts of drive is typical for these amps.

Hope this helps

David G4FTC