[Amps] 4 KW?

Alek Petkovic vk6apk at bigpond.com
Fri Jun 24 20:49:40 EDT 2022

Well, you can add a second bad review.

The last review on Eham, for the FU718F tube, is from VK6WB. It is his
Emtron DX-2SP that my friend bought in which the tube lasted a month. We
then bought the spare tube that VK6WB reviewed and it lasted less than a
month before it flashed over.

I have a couple of 4CX1500B tubes so we put one of those in and got the
amp going again, albeit on lower power, because the low screen volts in
the amp are not suited to that tube.

Then we bought two used 4CX1000A tubes from VK2ABN and our troubles are
over. They each make full power and my friend is happy. The tubes are
1985 date codes and they have been around. I believe they will keep
going around for many more trouble free years and the tubes will be
rotated through the amp to keep them fresh.

The FU728F will fit into a 4CX1000A socket but not vise versa, because
of the thicker key rod in the centre of the FU728F socket. The FU728F
tube has a matching larger hole in the base.

When Rudi built his amps, he had the centre pin in the socket machined
down to fit the Eimac tube and he added the 6 volt tap on the
transformer for the heater. The Chinese tube runs 9 volts.

This move has virtually future proofed his amplifiers. Yes the Eimac
4CX1000A tubes are very expensive but at least you can get them and they
are reliable.

73, Alek, VK6APK