[Amps] Western Electric

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:08:47 EDT 2022

Seems like that company goes on and on about their tubes such as the
300B but the one amplifier part that probably has the most effect on
its sound is the output transformer.  The original WECo had good audio
iron as did UTC with their LS series and Thordarson with their
Tru-Fidelity brand.  Stancor had a high end line but I forget what it
was called.  It would be funny if that fabulous amplifier they sell
had garden variety output iron with a single octave flat response.

I'm satisfied with a single Eico HF-14 p.p. triode connected 6BQ5s and
I listen to my records and radio in mono.  I have one of those old
chrome 6SC7 phonograph preamps.  I recapped my old Sansui speakers
last year and my busted ham ears are satisfied.  And I can fix my
stuff myself which is nice.

Rob
K5UJ