[Amps] Western Electric

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 25 21:14:30 EDT 2022

Well... Maybe.

I've read that tube amps are "better" because when they're over driven,
they don't clip as "hard" as solid state amps. After some thought, I've
concluded that it's not an inherent characteristic of vacuum tubes that
causes this: the "soft" clipping is due to the inherently limited
frequency response of the output transformer. Clipping introduces all
sorts of extra frequencies required to create the square wave part of,
say, a clipped sine wave. A transformer cannot pass the required high
frequency components required to create the sharp corners. The output
transformer acts as a band-pass filter: it can't pass extremely low
frequencies nor can it pass extremely high ones. Solid state amps have
no output transformer and so pass whatever frequencies the device can
handle and they can likely go much higher that 20 kHz. Thus, we see
sharp, square corners on clipped output form solid state amps that we
will never see from vacuum tube amps all because of the output transformer.

Kim N5OP