[Amps] Question on Troubleshooting an Alpha 8410 Problem

gudguyham at aol.com gudguyham at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 22:32:50 EST 2022

Hi Mike, my experience is limited with that amp but I found what might be a universal problem with that amp. There’s a separate chassis for the tube and there’s a terminal strip on the tube chassis with ring terminal wires on it so the wires can be removed easily if the tube chassis needs to be removed. There is a bunch of blue ring terminals that are crimped to all the wires that go into the tube chassis.  One wire carries considerable current and the wire is too small for a blue ring terminal, therefore the crimp isn’t sufficient.  Over time the connection becomes poor.  In the amp I fixed the wire got so hot it burned up.  I fixed it by cutting it back and soldering a smaller ring terminal.  I can see that being a universal problem.  You might want to check those wires.  Take the inspection plate off underneath and have a look.

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS