[Amps] 6M amp.

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Oct 23 13:43:59 EDT 2022

On 10/22/2022 7:36 AM, Jim wrote:
> This is due to FT-8.
>

> In my opinion, it should be outlawed.

Yeah, we shudda stuck with spark! And we damn sure should never have
abondoned AM.

The sad fact is noise levels on the bands have exploded by 10-20 dB over
the past 15-20 years, thanks to switch-mode power supplies,
power-control electronics like variable speed motor controllers, and
solar power systems, combined with the de-nutting of the FCC in the name
of "small government."

When I moved from Chicago to NorCal in 2006, I could work EU on 160M a
few times a season. In the past 7 seasons, with a better TX antenna and
the same RX antennas, I've HEARD six EU signals on 160, and two of them
have heard me.

All of this is far bigger than ham radio. K1JT's suite of digital
protocols have given us tools that allow us to work 10-16 dB deeper into
that noise. During the solar minima that peaked a couple of years ago, I
added 20 EU countries on Topband.

73, Jim K9YC