[Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Sep 12 19:49:33 EDT 2022

> So, where does that drive power go while the driver(s) are being
 > tuned, and the final is on standby?

Drive power is relatively low and typically dissipated in the grid
circuit of the succeeding stage.  For example, the BTR1 (pair of 4-400
modulated by a P-P pair of 4-400) - one of which is in my garage - has
a single 6146 driving the grids of the 4-400s probably less than 50W
carrier drive for 1 KW carrier output.

> Based upon that description, when WLW was running a full 500KW, I'd
> assume the engineer would set the carrier around 125KW, and then 100%
> modulation would peak at 500KW.
Nope ... that 500 KW was carrier power as is typical for AM broadcast.

The RCA BTR-1 is spec'd for 1 KW AM and will certainly do 5 KW PEP (125%
positive modulation) if one were using a scope to look at the output.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV