[Amps] ETO/Alpha 76 Tri-tube

Kathy Bookmiller wb2aio at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 11:33:17 EDT 2023

Hello,I've slowly developed a problem with my amp after years of light use.
It appears to have had a failure in the antenna relay, or at least in its conductivityon receive.My rig went dead the other day and I slowly started looking over all my connecting cables and found a couple that are suspect-gee, they were only built 60+ years ago for hooking up a SB10 converter to the Apachie transmitter back in the day:) But after changing them out, the rig is still dead and I checked the conductivity between the two in/out jacks and it is open. OK, no antenna, will make the rig sound dead.
So it looks like the relay contact has failed, wire fell off, ?  I always hated the way Alpha used an RCA/phono plug for the input, just a lousy way to save a dollar over an SO239 IMHO, but up to now, no problem as when I one time years ago looked at changing it to an SO239, I decided it was to much work changing it for what I'd gain.
But now it is probably time to open it up and see what has opened up.I'm asking if anyone else has had a similar failure and what they had to do to correct it, if finding the fault won't show an obvious fix.
73,
Kathy, w2nkPS I did fire up the amp. and cycled the ant. relay a few times, but no change. It also wouldn't 'amp' when given some drive, so suspect is the input RCA plug, but that is just a guess at this point.