[Amps] World's worst coax connectors

vk6jx at bigpond.net.au vk6jx at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 24 02:02:11 EDT 2023

Hi folks.

I've been following this thread with interest as I too have had experience
with sound reinforcement for rock bands.

But, my 42 year career was as an Electrical/Instrumentation Engineer with
major alumina refineries, iron ore mines, nickel refineries and then
engineering consulting here in Western Australia.

Every shielded single pair or multi pair instrumentation cable (read
low-level signals being conveyed through the noisiest HV/LV/variable speed
AC drives environment imaginable) all over the world, has the shield
grounded only at the receiving end - which is usually within the E/I
Equipment Room adjacent to the area control room. This is where these low
level signals are connected into the Honeywell or whatever SCADA system
which monitors and controls the plant. There is a "clean" instrumentation
earth system installed under each control room which is entirely independent
from the power earth installation to which all the motor cable earth wires
are bonded. The drain wires of the shields of all of these instrumentation
cables are grounded only to the clean earth system. The shields at other
ends of all of these cables - out in the field connected to thousands of all
types of transmitters - is not connected to anything.

This is the industrial standard everywhere.

Regards,

John VK6JX