[Amps] Tiny SA

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Apr 26 14:06:20 EDT 2023

On 4/26/2023 9:26 AM, jim.thom jim.thom at telus.net wrote:
> Have any of you folks used the tiny SA  (spectrum analyzer) or any other
> version of it ?   It goes down to -100db.  Used with a suitable attenuator,
> it would be a good tool to look at the harmonic content of an amp.  And
> also IMD on a SSB signal, 2 x tone tests etc.   Reasonably priced vs a
> megabuck ....'real one'.

In the hands of someone who understands SDRs and knows how to properly
exploit their dynamic range, they can be quite effective as spectrum
analyzers. NR0V, the inventor of Pure Signal, was my neighbor for a
while, and demonstrated capabilities of the lowest cost ANAN rig as a
spectrum analyzer. I subsequently bought one. This RFI talk I did at
Visalia in 2017 included three examples and different price points.
Obviously, there are more options six years later.

http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

The obvious need is for suitable couplers and attenuators to keep the
receiver out of overload.

73, Jim K9YC