[Amps] 8877 Warm-Up Period

Jim Barber barberaudio at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:17:11 EST 2023

Interesting.

I have a HV step-start because if I didn't it would trip the breaker. The
xformer is a Dahl 2800V 1A with a 53 uF
oil-filled cap and 200K bleeder resistance.The cap is on the large side,
granted. It takes *around* 500mS to get
from 0 to ~2KV, where the step-start contactor pulls in with a CLANK.

The filament is running from a 10A transformer connected to a 2A 120V
variac.
My self-serving speculation is that the combined resistance of the
transformers will soften the blow enough so that I
don't have to add a step-start for the filament. Do I have any proof of
this? No.

I suppose I could put a 100A shunt in the 5V filament circuit, find my
differential probe and have the scope sample
it. Sounds like work, though...

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI