[Amps] Slow start-up of Amps on CW

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Mar 12 15:30:34 EDT 2024

On 3/12/2024 12:07 PM, Steve Harrison wrote:
> I would definitely consider FT-991As,

Yaesu radios have long had problems with bandwidth on both CW and SSB,
producing clicks and splatter that are much wider than rigs from
Kenwood, Elecraft, and Flex. See this link, which is my analysis of ARRL
Labs data of popular rigs on CW. It was done with their blessing -- they
sent me the electronic output of their measurements.

http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf

In following years, I've traced SSB signals with wildly excessive
splatter to Yaesu rigs. Splatter extends 2.5 kHz on both sides of the
signal (that is, in the suppressed sideband, and on the other side of
the active sideband) only 20 dB. W4TV traced the cause to the way Yaesu
is doing signal processing in the transmit chain, and there are no user
adjustments to fix it.

This can be heard any time with ragchewers in the SSB bands, and clearly
seen on good spectrum and waterfall displays that can get narrow, like
the Elecraft P3. Clean signals show up on the waterfall as vertical bars
with bandwidth of 2.5-2.8 kHz; these dirty signals show horizontal
shoots from both sides of the bar on voice peaks.

73, Jim K9YC