[Amps] Slow start-up of Amps on CW

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Mar 12 19:52:03 EDT 2024

On 3/12/2024 2:40 PM, Robert W5AJ wrote:
> Best I can tell, FTdx10 CW with 6ms rise time is in par with K3 looking
> at QST In Depth review

Fast rise time CAUSES clicks; beginning with the first K3, Elecraft uses
a carefully shaped keying waveform that they call "sigmoidal," (which
I've heard described as a raised cosine) to provide nice sharp keying
without clicks. I've heard that after a bad ARRL review for for their
6500 series rigs, they adopted that shaping or something like it.

But rise time is the wrong thing to measure -- a spectral plot showing
sidebands with a string of dits shows where the bodies are buried.

Likewise, modulation with a sine wave, or even an IMD pair of sine
waves, fails to expose splatter caused by processing like Yaesu is
(was?) doing in those rigs.

Splatter running VHF/UHF rover is far less likely to cause QRM except
during band openings on SSB.

FWIW -- I love my K4, but am still quite happy with my 2008-vintage K3
with upgraded synth.

73, Jim K9YC