[antennaware] Apartment Dweller 01

peacemkr peacemkr@wcc.net
Sat, 04 Apr 1998 07:24:51 -0600

Hello folks,
	Antenna questions from an apartment dweller:

The rendering below represents my physical limits.
  1 The vertical lines are the 13' high ridge lines
    of 1 story apartment buildings. *<APEX @ 13'>*
  2 The astric is the feed line in location.
    I live in the NE corner apt. (in the South building)
  3 Ladder line is not an option due to:
    (electrical conduit/cable/Land Lines/etc. in attic
    access area) <just don't think I can maintain a clean
    feed run with the doorways and near by metal envolved>
  4 @ the west end of the buildings there is the main
    Pwr/Cable/LLine feeds to both buildings.

Present config is a closed loop running the ridge lines &
	crossing over between the 2 apartment buildings
	total of 302'

	(don't ask) .. was a 287' 80m loop and added to ..
	to get lower in the 160m band wid TR-7 & MN-7)

	50 ohm coax fed 4' then 10 turn 6" balun<choke>
	then about 38-40' to tuner.
	Ground consist of 3.5' rod into West Tex rock
	4' leadin to tuner

	no tvi xmit problems 120w ssb /cw ......

	bad rx problems mainly due to tvi horz osc. from
	other residents / sum pwr line qrn as well

*NOW*
	Due to the need to fund fUnKle Sam's yearly tributes..
	the TR7 & MN-7 are gone. <sigh>
	Present rig is Atlas 215 and MFJ-752B (Audio Filter)
	Tuner is homebrewed T tuner.
	Ant Works ok on 40m & 80m ..< 1.3 or less -  to 1 >
	can't get it below 6 to 1 on 15m.
	note: this is with the present home brew tuner ..

Goals:
	1 Buy up coming K2 from Elecraft < http://www.elecraft.com/ >
	  yes that means QRP or possiably QRO=50w out
	2 *SSB & CW* operations on 40/30/18/15/12/10m
	3 main bands will b 40/30/18/10m
	4 if it works on 80 .. kwel .. if not/no loss > thunderboomers
	5 build/reconfigure .. whatever .. tuner as necessary ..
	6 160m is THE band of choice but realistically .. I did gud to
	  wk 1000 mi with 100w .. and it's spring now ..

Questions:
	1 What is best length for loop? given the bands/physical limits
	  for tx efficiency and tuneability
		Rem: consider coax feed situation
	  Note: the addition of 45'to the overall loop
		which made <west> s/n leg 20'closer to the pwr end
		of the apt. complex .. made rx noise even worse..
		most of it seems to b Horz TV osc ..
		like if u turn on ur tv in same room with rig ..
		changes when the text changes on the wx ch for example
		hav disconnected tv/cable from my apt slight improvement
		I hav contacted cable & pwr companys they both sa
		nothing is wrong with their systems .. duh ..
	2 Diversity reception > MFJ-1026 < anyone used this unit?
	  as they sa u can't wk em if u can't hear em....
	3 I hav a cpi of Eznec .. but really don't know how to use it
	  if u configure an ant & send it I will try to look at it ..

          West

   -	 --63'--
   .	|	|
   .	|	|
   .	|	|
   .	|	|
   .	|	|
S 96'	|	|   North
   .	|	|
   .	|	|
   .	|	|
   .	|	|
   	|	|
   -    *

	   East

	Tnx fer the bandwidth an any input u may hav .. direct or thru
the reflectors.

	73's & GB
	    de
	  KA5OAI