[antennaware] Understanding scientific discussions
L. B. Cebik
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:12:07 -0400 (EDT)
In cleaning out some old files that date back to when I served as
Assistant Dean for Research at UTK, I ran into the following item that
will clarify many discussions you encounter in science and engineering
literature. It is so old that it may be new again to some.
A Key to Understanding Scientific Literature
What he/she said What he/she meant
1. It has long been known that. . . I haven't bothered to look up the
original reference but. . .
2. Of great theoretical and Interesting to me
practical importance. . .
3. While it has not been possible The experiment did not work out,
to provide definite answers to but I figure I could at least get
these questions. . . a publication out of it. . .
4. The W-PO system was chosen as The fellow in the next lab had some
especially suitable to show already made up. . .
the predicted behavior. . .
5. Three of the samples were chosen The results on the others didn't
for detailed study. . . make sense. . .
6. Accidentally strained during Dropped on the floor. . .
mounting. . .
7. Handled with extreme care Not dropped on the floor. . .
throughout the experiment. . .
8. Typical results are shown. . . The best results are shown. . .
9. Agreement with the predicted
curve is. . .
10. It is suggested that. . .
It is believed that. . .
It may be that. . . I think. . .
11. It is generally believed A couple of other guys think so
that. . . too. . .
12. It is clear that much additional a. I don't understand it. . .
work will be required before a b. My grant is up for renewal. . .
complete understanding. . .
13. Unfortunately, a quantitative Nobody else understands it either.
theory to account for these
results has not been formulated.
14. Correct within an order of Wrong. . .
magnitude. . .
15. Thanks are due to Joe Glotz for Glotz did the work, and Doe
assistance with the experiments explained what it meant.
and to John Doe for valuable
FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/antennaware-faq.html
Administrative requests: antennaware-REQUEST@contesting.com