[Antennaware] CONVERT 2 EL 40 CUSHCRAFT TO 3 EL?

Joe Reisert W1JR at arrl.net
Wed Feb 19 16:30:34 EST 2003

HI Mike,

I did some work on this conversion in 1990 for the late Jim Rafferty, N6JR.
I don't know if Jim ever did finished building it before he died.

I modeled the 3 element on a 33 foot boom using the same hardware as the
rest of the beam. As I recall, the gain was not very much greater (perhaps
1 dB) than the 2 element 40-2CD but the pattern improved quite a bit (as do
most Yagis on a 1/4 WL boom). Also, the VSWR degraded. One big problem with
this design is that the Q of the coils is so-so at best so adding another
element with the same coils also sees additional loss. I think they will
still sell them as replacement parts through customer service.

73,

Joe, W1JR