[Antennaware] Follow Up - Velocity factor of insulated wire

4nec2 at gmx.net 4nec2 at gmx.net
Wed Jun 23 04:59:29 EDT 2004

Hello...,

first of all thanks for the trigger about the insulated wires.
This started me to do some experiments with my 4nec2 package
in which a few months ago included the possibility to specify
radius- and material info for insulated wires.

Unfortional this showed up there was bug in the internal formula to
create the LD2 card for specifying the distributed L resulting from
the insulation layer. (thanks to RA9MB/UA3AVR and L.B.Cebik for the
additional info about the subject).

After this version 5.3.9 bug was fixed I modelled a 40 meter dipole
above average ground using 2.5 mm sq. copper wire (radius 0.892 mm)
with a 0.5 mm thick layer of hard PVC (diel-const about 4.5).

This showed up a resonant length of 10.419 meter for the bare copper
wire and a resonant length of 10.158 meter for the insulated wire, resulting
in shortening factor of about 0.975

Maybe this is of interest.... :-)

Arie.

--
(Please ignore the advertisements below)