[Antennaware] Telrex TB4EM

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 1 14:59:35 EST 2005

>Does anyone have information on this antenna, I've a chance to obtain one,
>but its located 77 miles away and I haven't the time to make the drive right
>now.  I am told that it was only up for 1.5 years and then disassembled and
>stored in a garage since.  What's the Forward Gain, and so on?  Is it a 4
>element beam and so on?  I'm really curious as I used to have the
>monobanders by Telrex...years ago. Thanks in advance, Cam WA4JKW

Cam,

If I recall ... it's a tribander ... 20/15/10 ...

One driven element, and three reflectors, one for 20, one for 15, one for 10.

I can't recall the boom length ... 12' or a bit more or so?

The TB5EM, added a director, and had an 18' boom.
The TB6EM, added an extra element for 10m I believe, and used a 26' boom.

One thing to keep in mind, the caps that Telrex used in their traps on
the driven element tend to shift value as they age ... making the SWR
curve also shift. Ditto may be true for the trapped directors of the TB5/6.

So ... it's a Telrex version of a 2L yagi for 20/15/10 ... reflectors are
spaced for good performance per band ... and are full sized too, so
it's not that bad a design ... similar to the present F12 C3 series ...

Worth putting up? It's all subjective, but you could do worse, and
if it's FREE ... well, then ... just do it.

Be sure your rotor and tower are up to it too.

73 Billy AA4NU