[Antennaware] Phased Butternuts?

John Tait bravo at iol.ie
Mon Feb 12 18:00:24 EST 2007

Hi Terry..Gary..
           I reckon that the simplest phasing setup that works straight
off, is a pair spaced at a half wave, and switched between in phase, and
180 degrees out of phase. i.e broadside/endfire. As Gary says, as soon
as you get close enough for mutual coupling, then there's no easy way..
You must do the measurements, the maths, and the tuning. And if you do,
then the results will be gratifying. Luckily there's lot's of good info
available on the subject nowadays.. (ON4UN..W8JI etc).. Most of it I
don't understand, so I look on "phasing" as a bit of a "black art" {:o)
To answer your original question.. I'd space them a 1/2 w/l on 40m,
which should give you an instant result on 40m. (broadside /endfire)
That's also 1/4 w/l spacing on 80m, so if you do the complicated stuff
there, you'd have two directions with gain and f/b, and a bit of gain on
the broadside when in phase.. Even if it only gave you directivity and
gain on only one band, it'd still be worth it..
Have fun OM.
   Vy 73
    John EI7BA      http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/