[Antennaware] Random wire on 160

Gary Smith Gary at doctorgary.net
Thu Jan 31 13:07:39 EST 2008

Hi,

Have just come onto about 500 feet of the "loop" wire the telephone
company uses. Kind of like a very durable insulation around a solid &
stiff copper wire. This stuff is like zip wire in that there's a
groove between the wires and it can be pulled apart to make two wires
out of one.

No open space for an antenna thoughthere's trees & wetlands around
the house. The  top of the house has several antennas on it already
so I can't mount a new antenna up there.

Was thinking I might take a 130'section of this wire and hook it to
the random wire terminal of the transmatch and use it as a temporary
160M antenna for this winter & do something better for next year.

Looking for DX. Any thoughts on a random wire at this frequency &
there's no tower to hang it from as a sloper.

Thanks,

Gary
ka1j