[Antennaware] Radials

Jim Miller JimMiller at STL-OnLine.Net
Sun Mar 2 17:13:07 EST 2008

I wish someone could model a representation of this to see.
73, Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller at STL-OnLine.Net>
To: "AntennaWare Reflector" <AntennaWare at Contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 5:39 PM
Subject: [Antennaware] Radials

> What detrimental effect would there be if radials (25 or so) laying ON the
ground had their ends stuck into the ground or held down by spikes or LARGE
nails since this is a high voltage point?  The antenna in use was a 160
meter inverted L with about 54 ft vertical and the remainder horizontal.

> At our clubhouse, (homebrew 4-1000 amp at 4800 volts) I came out during a
cw contest and the ends of several of the radials had sparks continuous with
the cw being transmitted (no problem copying whatsoever).  The ground was
still partly snow covered and very wet and luckily so were the leaves that
were in the spark path.  No fires were started but I started thinking about
danger of someone touching the radials near the end.