[Antennaware] Guying a 40' Fiberglass Mast...Alone

Alain Michel opalockamishabob at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 00:32:31 EDT 2008

Hello All,

This mast is going to support the feedpoint of my 204' G5RV.

The 2" bottom mast will slide into an 8', 2 3/8" galvanized fence post, which is set into 4' of concrete. The spot is on a 25% grade; this caused me some concern regarding the length of my guy ropes, but I believe that I've got enough 3/16" Dacron to complete the job.

I am going to tie the Dacron ropes [to galvanized thimbles and then] to spikes at four [compass] points on the ground,  outside the 33' diameter circle from the center post. Guy points on the mast will be at 16', 23' and 30'.

I plan on leaving 20"+/- of each spike above ground.

What is the best way for one person to get the mast as perpendicular to the ground as possible, while running from "point to point" to last down the mast while it's teetering?! My wife and I attempted to lash down this unruly 40 footer in a very light wind on Sunday, with little success!

I'll be handling 12 long guy ropes, so any assistance from anyone who's done this alone [or with one's XYL/OM!] would be most welcomed!

Anything I'm forgetting?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alan...KI6HPO