[Antennaware] 160 meter 3/8 wire, steel or copper

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Wed Sep 24 17:44:25 EDT 2008

Flam,

Based on your description and measurements, I am certain that proximity to
the tower is affecting the impedance matching. I was able to obtain similar
results modeling the tower about 30m tall. It will not have much effect on
radiation, just matching.

With your wire length, the feed impedance would be in the 30-ohm range.
Ground losses might add several ohms, but would not double the impedance to
70 ohms -- that is due to the capacitance between the wire and tower.

At the present spacing, you may not be able to get a 1:1 VSWR with a single
capacitor, because the extra "capacitor" between tower and wire is part of
your matching system, raising the feedpoint impedance. With more spacing
between tower and wire (1.5m or 2m), the effects will be smaller -- and the
VSWR will not move as much in the wind!

1.  Like the other guys, I recommend using copper wire for lower loss.
2.  Add some short radials (as many you can) to reduce ground loss.
3.  If you are able, increase the spacing between antenna and tower.

73, Gary
K9AY