[Antennaware] EZNEC model versus reality

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Tue Feb 10 16:53:51 EST 2009

Dave,

First, take the 10 ohm 'ground loss' resistance out of the model. 48 radials
approximately 1/4-wavelength is a low-loss ground. Without it, the 'zero-X'
spot is around 36.5 ohms at 3.840 in my quick model. Your 28 -j9X (it's
probably capacitive) measurement at 3.615 isn't out of line -- My model
shows 30 -j28 at that frequency.

There are myriad of  local factors that can have a significant effect on the
'as-built' impedance -- guy hardware, the antenna-to-coax and
radial-to-shield connections, and even a moderate slope in the terrain. The
latter seems to be the culprit for a sizeable difference in actual vs.
modeled impedance of my 160M vertical.

73, Gary
K9AY