[Antennaware] symptoms of balun saturation?

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 12 18:26:46 PDT 2009

Quite possibly you are experiencing dielectric heating of some component of
the antenna itself, and are losing connection when some part gets hot
enough. Most of those kinds of antennas do not really handle QRO.  Water
getting into some part of the antenna would tend to increase dielectric
heating, besides simple detuning, as would any of the water invasion modes
mentioned in an earlier post.

If you were shorting out somewhere, those tend to establish breakdown points
with carbon traces that stay shorted until disassembled and repaired.

73, Guy.