[Antennaware] Testing coax w/MFJ 259

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 23 13:31:24 PDT 2009

Water wicked into the shield weave present in coax by being broadly lossy,
which LOWERS swr rather than elevating it.  It's a fairly weird problem if
it only shows on one band. Water logged coax CAN change swr under power, but
since its a resistance and dieletric issue, should affect all bands.

Analyzers don't run enough output to change line characteristics by heating,
and so will only be able to see more loss than there ought to be.

An analyzer usually has a procedure in its manual for measuring coax loss,
normally a measurement done with the far end shorted or open. The loss
measurement is best measured at whatever frequency(s) has the highest SWR
looking into the open coax.  These frequencies depend on the length and
velocity factor of the coax and may not fall into ham bands or customary
operating frequencies.

Computational analyzers like the AIM 4170, which have a program running in a
PC which analyzes frequency-scanned data fed from the analyzer over a serial
port, will provide the loss figure directly.

Personally, I think a core with a physical defect could cause saturation
problems, as would the accidental use of core material not intended by the
manufacturer. Ferrite looks like ferrite, looks like ferrite, and having a
mistake in a box of cores or a mistaken box of cores on the manufacturing
floor is plausible.

I have personally smoked and shattered ferrites not suitable to the use  :>)

73, Guy