[Antennaware] SuperLoop 80 (was Help! Which One)

Stephen Kangas stephen at kangas.com
Thu Sep 24 23:43:29 PDT 2009

I already tried myself using the transmission line feature in EZNEC for that
"stub", but found that it did not at all accurately model the real-world
antenna. The "stub", "trap", "phaser", or whatever you wish to call it
affects the phasing of the signal and it's impedance back at the feedpoint.
In reality, my measurements on a finished antenna at 120ft (top wire) using
a 4:1 Guanella design current balun to 50ohm coax showed SWR of 1.3 on 80M,
1.3 on 40M, 1.4 on 20M, 1.6 on 17M, and 1.7 on 15M...this after adjusting
lengths of wires and stub in the old trim-measure-trim-measure method.
Putting those dimensions back into the three inexpensive modeling programs I
was using resulted in completely different SWRs/impedances from
real-world...only the expensive pro program showed accurate results, and the
antenna engineer I worked with on that model says it appears to be the
phaser/trap/stub requiring at least a very high number of segments to better
model the field between the closed-spaced ladder wires.

The final dimensions when using #12ga stranded THNN insulated wire is 52'6"
for each of the 2 top wires, which are of course joined with the 450ohm
ladder line "stub" which wound up for me at 30'11" (I use 14ga stranded
ladder line) and that makes the antenna a total of 105ft across the top,
64'2" for each of the side wires.  Note that wire insulation has an affect
on the velocity factor (measured at abt 97%)and therefore wire lengths for
this antenna; also, wire lengths are unusually senstive on this antenna for
some reason I don't quite understand (perhaps the affect they have in the
pattern against the hanging "stub").  The stub's physical position seems to
have an affect on antenna metrics, as I watched my analyzer readings change
in real-time on a breezy day from the stub blowing around...I minimized this
by putting a 24" acrylic plastic bracket at the bottom so that I could
better secure the stub in place while preventing it from twisting (which
also has an affect).  An interesting point: when constructing the antenna, I
first used the analyzer to cut the ladder line "stub" to resonance at
7.175MHz and with VF measured at 90.9% it wound up at abt 34ft...I soon
learned that it had to be shorted in the final antenna, so there are some
affects with the rest of the antenna system that changes its
characteristics.  I'm intrigued by Terry's idea below of a 1/4 wl 80M open
"stub"...I'll have to try that.

The balun is not a mystical trade secret.  A good Guanella current design is
all that is needed...see W2FMI's balun book for examples.  You will get a
bit more ERP if you run 40M length ladder line from the antenna feedpoint to
the balun and if needed a short length of coax into your shack.

FWIW, I found that the performance of the Carolina Windom antenna is
comparable to the Super Delta Loop...but it costs more since it requires a
2:1 Ruthroff voltage unun at the top and a 1:1 current balun at the bottom
(I used a Guanella for that one).  But it models nicely, thus is quite
predictable.  It also has an interesting vertically polarized component in
the antenna plane, which makes it sort-of an omni pattern (horiz gain
perpendicular and vertical gain in-line).  That vertical componenet somehow
brings the horiz take-off angle down to abt 7deg.  The Super Loop saves
money and is a few db quieter for receive, but without an accurate model
you'll futz a *lot* with it getting it to play nice.