[Antennaware] center loading versus ground loading

Art Trampler atrampler at att.net
Sun Jan 31 19:34:21 PST 2010

Dave,

Sounds promising...and making more sense than my idea of using irrigation
pipe.

First off, since you obviously understand more about this than I do, thank
you.  Second, you might enjoy this calculator and discussion:

http://hamwaves.com/antennas/inductance.html

In order to minimize coil losses, would a more square design (length to
diameter) be preferable?  Or are you concerned about the coil having too
great a Q and therefore limited bandwidth?

In my "envisioning" of using the coil to choke the radiator around 65 feet
or so, I was thinking of a large coil, perhaps 4 or 5 inch diameter.  I run
the Hy-Gain AV640 and notice the coils do warm up, so assume that such heat
is loss.

The 2" diameter coil would be about 8 inches long, right?  This program
shows a Q of about 400 ohms at 1.8mhz, which surprised me.  Is there any
advantage or disadvantage, electrically, to a coil that was similarly wound
but 3.5" x 5"?

Thank you for working this through...it sounds great and do-able.  I am
curious as to your thoughts on different coil design methodologies.

Art