[Antennaware] Negative Impedance Converter NIC

Terry Conboy n6ry at arrl.net
Tue Sep 14 12:15:00 PDT 2010

  On 2010-09-13 11:38 AM, Andy Ikin wrote:
> Is it possible to use NIC to overcome losses in terminated loop antennas? If so, how would one measure the NIC input impedance with say a Signal Generator and an Oscilloscope to check for correct NIC performance?       Andrew Ikin  G8LUG
Andrew,

It seems like you could put a resistor of the design "-R" value in
series with the input of the NIC and check for a short circuit.

If you're thinking of using this to cancel the resistive load in a Flag
or K9AY, it would probably produce the same results as just removing or
lowering the resistor.  Of course, since the resistor sets the current
magnitude in the loop, the antenna pattern wouldn't be the same.  But
knowing how inventive you are, you probably had something more clever in
mind!

I think those NIC circuits were first used in telephony to counteract
the losses in copper lines.  Using them as -C generators is a neat
scheme for making wideband matched antennas.  Years ago, early in my
engineering career, I designed wideband amplifiers with lots of negative
feedback for linearization, and they often developed negative input
resistance that sometimes had strange side effects.

73, Terry N6RY