[Antennaware] Cushcraft A3S or D3 element model

Guy Olinger K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 13 11:51:45 PDT 2011

Hi, David,

"Official" models that include the traps are essentially non-existent.  It
is the traps that are the wild-card instead of the aluminum tubing size and
length.  To create an accurate model, the traps would need to be put on an
analyzer, and the R, C, L elements calculated from the response.  That would
give you the values to put in EZNEC "load" elements to provide the trap
function.  Also the trap physical length that is exposed between the regular
aluminum tubing would have to be added as another tubing length that
contains the load in the center.

Simply taking the trap apart and measuring the value of coils, etc will NOT
work because these designs have already incorporated the significant amount
of miscellaneous capacitance added AFTER the construction due to physical
proximity, coils inside tubes, etc.

The process of providing the actual L, R, C values of the trap from a 10-30
MHz impedance (R + Jx) sweep of the traps is not something that is provided
by available, affordable software that I know of.  This may account for the
lack of such models out in ham-internet-space.

Nothing you do with the elements will change the trap values, which is why
using these elements any way except as designed is doomed to failure.

Running a 10 to 30 Mhz sweep on a trap tribander with an AIM4170 analyzer or
equivalent will show you why you can't use those elements on the WARC bands.
 The problem with 18 MHz is that the 10 and 15 traps in there have
unaccounted for impedance in between.  You MIGHT get it to work, but the
derived information to lay it out with EZNEC is not there without a lot of
work.

Since elements can be set to useable gain and f/b length settings over a
wide range of element spacings it is not surprising that the WARC version
has the same element spacing as the 10-15-20m version.  Use the same boom,
and save on manufacturing.

73, Guy.