[Antennaware] Yagi element capacity hat end loading

David Gould dave at g3ueg.co.uk
Sat Jun 8 12:00:59 EDT 2013

I have a very small back garden so I am limited in the width of
antenna I can erect.  I want to try and do better than a minibeam.

I am currently using a Cobwebb antenna which is a set of 5 nested
dipoles for HF bent into a square.  For what it is it works quite
well, but I want to do better.  I know it is not ideal, but I am
considering a 2 or 3 element trap yagi, but even with the loading
coils (yuck!) it is still too wide.  So I am considering trying to
shorten the elements (particularly the reflector) by replacing the
outer tips (beyond the trap) with a shorter tip with capacity hat end loading.

I have modelled this in EZNEC for a simple 20m dipole (no traps) and
have got a feel for the cap hat sizes needed to shorten the tip by
varying amounts.

1)  Has anyone tried this before? With what learning?

2)  Is there likely to be a significant difference in effect putting
the cap hat outside a trap rather than on a straight element?

3)  I am not sure I know how to model a 20/15/10 trap element. Does
anyone have an EZNEC model of a Mosley TA33jnr or Cushcraft A3S, or
advice how to build just a trapped element that I can play with?

4) Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

73,
Dave, G3UEG