[Antennaware] Modding the 6M Cushcraft A505S?

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Sat Sep 24 11:11:39 EDT 2016

Folks,

Thank you for the replies.

If I had started to think of this earlier
in the year, putting together one from
scratch would have been a great idea. At
this time, in the fall and with major
leg/ankle surgery coming up soon enough, I
don't have the time to build from scratch.
Modifying the CC without needing more boom
was what I was hoping for.

I don't see much interest in the middle or
upper part of the band, most everything I
think I'll be looking for is at the bottom
of the band so it only makes sense that I
find something that works well in the
bottom, out of the box.

It seems like the M2 6M5XHP is probably
going to be my best choice at this point.
That or stay with the 3 element add on to
the tribander till next summer.
Unfortunately I have one amp for HF and
one for 6M, it will be less than fun in a
crunch to have to switch coaxes to work on
one band ot the others; this makes having
two separate antennas a better choice. If
my old Alpha carried 6M, it would be fine.

Thank you all for the input, it helps me
make a better decision.

73,

Gary
KA1J