[CCF] WAE SSB OG1F(OH1NOA) SOAB HP

Klimoff Timo timo.klimoff@pt3.tempo.mol.fi
11 Sep 2001 10:25:00 +0300

WAE DX Contest, SSB
Call: OG1F
Operator(s): OH1NOA
Station: OH1AF
Class: SOAB HP
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R
80: 26 0 48
40: 194 181 96
20: 503 593 106
15: 671 822 116
10: 201 291 96
-------------------------------
Total: 1595 1887 460 = 1,601,720

Club/Team: CCF
Comments:
TS850SAT + Alpha 91b
IC-735 + HL2K
80m: GP 40m: 3/2el yagis 20m: 4/4el yagis, 4el yagi 15m: 4/4el yagis, 4el yagi
10m: 6el yagi

I finished 25k pts above last year's claimed score though had 297 qsos and 22
QTCs less (but 45 more multipliers). Propagation was not so hot as it was last
year, especially 10&15m were not so good - strange, because solar flux was sky
high.

80m: my "usual" pathetic showing, nothing from Far East worked or heard.
Western stations seemed to have copying difficulties. South America was strong.
I always save 6 hours of rest period to the end, because Monday is a working
day here. So no 80m qsos on Sunday evening. South Europe seems to spot DXs here
about 2 hours after our sunrise, big handicap especially with Caribbean.

40m: this was the first try with our new 3 over 2 el stack. Worked ok, great
signals from US and Japan. There seems to be new jammer (a little bit like
famous "Woodpecker") on the band: QRM 59+40dB 7040-7090 kHz !!

20m: band was closed second night but opened in the morning

15m: 180 qsos less than last year - JA signals were very good but solar flares
disturbed US openings, not much west coasters worked.

10m: 170 qsos less than in 2000 - two short US openings both days. JAs were
loud! On Sunday there was very interesting propagation - the highlight was
T30XU peaking 59+20dB over the pole. V85GA at 1449z was also an unexpected late
qso. WAEDC is certainly the most interesting contest of the year.

Unfortunately this might be my last serious WAEDC if DARC will change the rules
(=US/VE call areas will be multipliers) because the new rules will ruin all the
winning chances from Northern Europe - especially when propagation will decline.

CU in SAC CW next weekend!

73, Timo OH1NOA @OG1F

--
CCF on WWW:               http://www.qsl.net/ccf/