[CCF] OH0KAG M/S CQ WW RTTY and SAC PHONE

Juha Rantanen oh6xx at sral.fi
Fri Oct 3 10:48:14 EDT 2003

2003 SCANDINAVIAN ACTIVITY CONTEST PHONE OH0KAG M/S

band      QSOs      points    mults
-----------------------------------
80        184         377      34
40        294         629      46
20        765        1608      60
15        134         356      38
10         15          32       8
-----------------------------------
TOTAL     1392        3002     186      SCORE: 558,372

CQ/RJ WW RTTY OH0KAG M/S

         QSOs   Points  Zones   DX:     States  Multipliers     Score
80m:      72    146     6       25
40m:     160    344     11      39      2
20m:     284    632     18      54      15
15m:     217    580     18      42      45
10m:      29    81      6       11      11
Total:  762     1783    59      171     73      303     540,249

OH0KAG -SMALL GUNS IN ALAND ISLAND

OP'S:
RTTY: OH6GLE, OH6XX, OH9MM
SSB: OH6GLE, OH6JHU, OH6XX, OH9MM

EQUIPMENT:
FT-1000MP, ALPHA 91B
FT-1000MP Mark V Field, HL-2K

ANTS:
80M: Dipole up 6M
40M: 2 el phased array
20M/15M/10M: A3S up 6m, single verticals

This is what happens if you do last minute operation with small equipment
from
"European Alaska". You get a small score! However, this was really fun!

We arrived to Aland Island late on Friday evening. Just two hours before
completely darkness. There was no time to waste for putting up the antennas.
First we tried to put up the A3S. We had a 12m mast but the weather was too
windy. After the beam came down twice we had no other choice but put the
beam
up at 6m. That was a shame! We got an absolutely fantastic site for the beam
but while it was only 6m up it was too low!

After the beam was up we did not have any chances to put up the low band
antennas before the RTTY contest. My purpose was to run RTTY as single op
all
band but it did not look that good. My worst nightmare came true while the
RTTY
contest started. 20M was closed! After operating 12 hours I got around 100Q!
There was only one good hour: 11-12Z, just before SAC-contest started.

There was nothing special while SAC conditions stayed poor. We tried to move
every possible mult to 15/10 but with poor results, 99% with no luck.
Everyone,
thanks for trying!  On lower bands we had better luck. We tried to do our
best
but only 40q's on 15m! Lost absolutely too much multipliers on higher bands!
Anyway, we had lots of fun temporarily on other bands!

After SAC was over  I started the RTTY contest again. After one hour I moved
15M. WOW! What a great propagation to States! Even Californians came 599+ to
our small beam! OH6GLE and OH6XX have never worked RTTY before and they
thought
all the gentlemen working rtty are weird ("£EUR%&#). OH6GLE even said that
he
would have ABSOLUTELY no intention to work rtty in his life!

Well well....

After an hour they started to be interested in rtty, cause there was much
better pile than in SAC! I thought that conditions on 15m were just
temporarily
good so I wanted give them a chance to operate. So we moved to M/S category
with only one station operational for rtty. After 15M stayed open to States
few hours it was my time to pay back. OH6GLE and OH6XX had
continuous fight, who had the chance to run the pile! That has not happened
for
years in cw/ssb! This was my moment of FUN!

Because we haven't worked on lower bands before SAC the piles stayed also
nice
on lower bands for the rest of the contest. Most hours were around 60q/hour
or
more. I got the promise from other ops that they will also start doing rtty
contesting in major contests. I am hoping to see OH6K active in cq ww/wpx
rtty
in future!

We used MMTY+ WRITELOG for rtty. That was absolutely a great combination! We
did not have absolutely any problems with the software during the whole
contest. The next time so2r or m/s with wi-fi network cards would do great
improvement to the score!

Back to SAC. After sleeping a couple of hours after the cw ww we started to
dismantle our antennas. Everything went okay and we were in the schelude. We
went to the harbour and after 15min I recognized a familiar car. Yes, it was
Martti, OH2BH, who had been running SAC as OH0B only 10km away from our QTH.
At
this point I got no comments about our upper bands score. Just had too small
antennas (or poor operators, hi hi)!

Thanks to OH1MDR, OH3ES, OH3LQK, OH3MEP and OH3XR for their kind help before
the operation!!!!!

73
Juha, G/OH0KAG (OH1KAG/OH9MM)
p.s. cu next time as VP5X in cq ww cw