[CCF] RE: sac 2002 results

SM3CER - 7S3A sm3cer at contesting.com
Tue Sep 16 13:30:00 EDT 2003

Hello fellow contesters!

I don't agree with Jukka about his statement that the SAC logs now
are checked for the first time in history. The first time was for
the SAC logs 2000, where ALL logs were checked by using Cabrillo
and a log checking program made by SM2EZT and myself. We spent
hundreds of hours to develop the software and I think ALL logs
were fairly checked that year.

I'm sorry that LA9HW did not use our software in 2001, so that year
the logs were not checked properly.

For 2002 OZ5WQ adopted our software and he has done a tremendous job
so far. The problem is that he did not get too much help with the
conversion of electronic logs to Cabrillo and to type the paper logs
to get a useful Cabrillo log. I offered my help from the very beginning,
but he choosed to do the work himself. He only let me help him with a
few logs in the beginning of this year, which he couldn't read in his
computer.

Yesterday (Monday 15 September 2003) SM2EZT and I got an e-mail containing
48 CW-logs, which OZ5WQ couldn't read in the log checking program. We have
both worked very hard yesterday and today with those logs to get them OK
and we have almost fixed all of them. I will send the corrected logs back
to OZ5WQ later today.

I also got all the other 447 logs for the CW-part in another e-mail from
OZ5WQ for information. I have started to look at those logs as well, and
found many logs with wrong format and QSO information missing. I have
corrected also a few of those logs, so the log checking program should
be able to do it's job. There are still some logs that need corrections
in their Cabrillo format and SM2EZT and I will do our best to help OZ5WQ
with his problems. I'm very sorry he didn't ask for our help much earlier!

Jukka/OH6LI has also adopted the log checking software for this year and
I will send the programs to him later this week. I don't know how Jukka
will plan and organize the work, but I have a suggestion to make the log
checking and the presentation of the final results faster than for 2002.

If Jukka decides to check ALL the logs he will need some help with typing
the paper logs into Cabrillo. In SAC 2000 there were around 200 paper logs
and we were 10 persons typing those logs. That work needs to be done
immediately after the paper log is received. Also all logs received via
e-mail that needs to be converted to Cabrillo must be processed
immediately after receipt. You need to check that all information is
available and if not, send an e-mail back and ask for a new complete
log. You can't just collect the logs for some months and then start the
typing and conversions next spring.

If Jukka needs any help from SM2EZT and myself we are only an e-mail or
phone call away...

Now most of the contest software can produce a correct Cabrillo log for
SAC, so there should be less work this year compared to SAC 2000. There
should also be less paper logs (I think), so that work should also be
much easier. It seems TR Log still produces a wrong Cabrillo format for
SAC, so be very careful to check your Cabrillo log made by TR, before you
send it to Jukka. (The columns are at the wrong places and the sent
serial numbers are missing). It's also very important that you use UTC
in your log. If there are too big differencies in the time when cross
checking a QSO, there can be problems. It could lead to loss of a QSO.

A Cabrillo template for SAC can be seen at:

http://www.sk3bg.se/contest/saccabr.htm

Read that page carefully and try to understand how a Cabrillo log is
composed.

Good luck in this years SAC!

73 de Jan/SM3CER

Jan-Eric Rehn - SM3CER - Contest call: 7S3A
SSA Contest Manager - SWEDEN
E-mail: sm3cer at contesting.com - ICQ: 11074897
SM3CER Contest Service: http://www.sk3bg.se/contest/
SK3BG Web Site: http://www.sk3bg.se/
Also QRV in MS or MM from: SI9AM - SK3IK - SL3ZV
K6U at WRTC-96 / Referee at WRTC-2000 and WRTC-2002