[CCF] Fw: IOTA Contest, log submission update

Timo Klimoff timo.klimoff at dnainternet.net
Thu Aug 5 02:23:53 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Field" <g3xtt at lineone.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 12:55 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] IOTA Contest, log submission update

This is an update on log submissions for the IOTA Contest.

This year we have been trialling a two-stage submission process, where  you
are directed to a Web form after sending in your log. Unlike some contest
organisers, although we prefer Cabrillo logs, we are prepared to accept most
formats. However, this means we need to be sure we have collected the
correct entry info - category, island, etc. In the past this has taken a lot
of manual effort, which cannot really be sustained year after year. Even
with Cabrillo logs, not all logging programs collect the required entry
data, so again it helps if entrants confirm this via the Web form.

So far, we have received nearly 700 logs via this process, and although
there have been a few teething problems, the system now seems to have
settled down. We thank everyone for their patience. The main difficulty
appears to have been that we used Javascript for the Web form, whereas many
entrants were using old browsers which did not support this. Javascript has
now been removed and compatibility with older browsers improved!

Some quick points about submission:

1. The correct address for logs is iota.logs at rsgbhfcc.org We know that the
address has appeared incorrectly in some publications. If you have not
received a log acknowledgement, it may be that you sent it to the wrong
address.
2. Please only send one attachment, the log itself. You can complete the
entry details when you are directed to the Web form.

3. There was a problem with an earlier SDICheck for those using EI5DI's SDI
program, which resulted in the first 12 QSOs being lost from the Cabrillo
log. This is fixed in the latest version of SDICheck (10.25). Please ensure
your log has no QSOs missing.
4. CT V10.01.008 <http://www.k1ea.com/download/ct10_01.zip> now supports
Cabrillo for IOTA (tnx K1EA). However, the first release set all QSOs to SSB
where the entry was mixed mode. Ken very quickly moved to fix this (an
update should be available imminently), but do check if you are sending a CT
submission for a Mixed Mode entry. For older versions of CT, we can accept
the .ALL or .BIN file.

5. WA7BNM has kindly developed a template on his Web page for typing in QSOs
if you have a small log and no means of creating the necessary submission.
Many thanks Bruce. Go to:  http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/iota_cab.php

6. You can find a list of logs submitted and activated to date at:
http://www.contesting.co.uk/hfcc/iota_online_logs.shtml
7. The deadline for log submission is the end of August.
8. More FAQs appear at: http://www.contesting.co.uk/hfcc/iota_faq.shtml

Conditions were pretty dire for this year's contest, but there were some
good scores all the same. Soapbox comments and photos  (send photos to the
e-mail address below) will be posted on the IOTA  section of the RSGB HF
Contests Committee Web page (www.rsgbhfcc.org ) in early September, and
Claimed Scores shortly afterwards.

 Don G3XTT
 IOTA Contest Manager