[CCF] Vielä vertikaaleista puuston keskellä

Ari Korhonen ari.korhonen at kolumbus.fi
Sat Feb 18 06:36:03 EST 2006

Ohessa WW2Y:n kommentteja aiheesta. Monet varmaan muistavat miehen kovan signaalin alabandeilla.

Ari, OH5DX

Back in the early to mid 1990's, I had a 6 element inverted L 80m array for transmitting and receiving. Each element was slightly higher than 10m and the array's footprint was the same as the VY2ZM's six pack RX 160m array.  For 160m, I had a rectangular 4 element array of inverted L's during the years of 1994 thru 2003. They were 25m high and It's footprint is the same as the VY2ZM's 160m full sized vertical array. For receiving on 160m, I used phased  beverage arrays. All of these antennas  were placed in the dense woods. Most of the trees were about 25m to 40m high and the vertical sections of the inverted L's were about 2 to 3m from the tree trunks. Most of the trees were oak, white ash, various maple, tulip poplar, and some white pine.

Rob and I did not do any tests to see if trees degrade the performance of the antenna systems, because we were very pleased how well they played.  We didn't have the option to cut down the trees because they supported the antennas in the first place. My gut feeling tells me that the interaction due to the trees is minimal on the low bands, but I'm confident they become significant above 10 MHz or so.

The trees that you described at your new QTH appear to be generally shorter than the ones I had. I feel that you should not be concerned. I would definitely go ahead with your projects. I hope this information is useful for your antenna projects using trees as supports.

Peter WW2Y