[CCF] SAC proposals for 2007 and beyond

markku Oksanen markku.a.oksanen at kolumbus.fi
Sun Oct 1 04:04:49 EDT 2006

Fellow SAC fans,

I very seldom comment on these "political" discussions but here we go:
I believe we should be able to work each other in SAC, contests are about
having fun and this would increase the fun.
Points: I see no reason to make Scandinavians or own country a secondary
source of points, 2 points for all QSOs. Logic? From where I am Oulu is
further away than say Estonia.. I hope you see my point here. Yes, then it
would not be a clear Scandinavia-outside split but who cares.
Should it be one weekend or two? I believe two but perhaps moving SSB to
another weekend would be a good idea, 40m can get tight with the RTTY crowd
in there. And we would have more fun stations in this with a more "open"
weekend.
Length of contest, 24 hours is very good, no need to change that in my view.
Rules: Should we allow single band entries outside Scandinavia? If this
would bring more people to the contest, yes.

Another point: Scandinavia is in many ways a very progressive place,
technologically and politically. Could we not invent something for SAC that
makes this the most advanced and technologically challenging and interesting
contest on the planet?  This would be both for us and the outside
participants. How about allowing self spotting or public activity planning
(meaning that all Scandinavians publish on line their operating frequency on
an organizer hosted website during the contest)?  How about changing the
scoring from just country points to more points if the contact can be
completed using lower power? During the low activity hours you could try
lowering power from HP to Low to QRP and if you get through, your points go
from 3 to 6 to 12 for that contact?  This would be tied to the power YOU
transmit. How about broadening the definition of MM class to allow stations
anywhere in the country, much like HQ stations in IARU?
What I am trying to say here is, allow more different things and bring more
people into this fun contest.

Please feel free to shoot down any of the above ideas but I challenge you to
come up with a better one before you do, "we can't do that because I say so"
is not an idea, it is an opinion.

Markku
OH2RA