[CCF] Marko, N5ZO: N6ZZ SK

HP1WW ea4bq at attglobal.net
Thu Mar 1 09:41:59 EST 2007

From:  <marko.L.myllymaki at nokia.com>
Date:  Thu, 1 Mar 2007 02:23:36 -0600

When I saw the email I couldn't believe my eyes.

I first met Phil in Southern California when I lived there 1991-1994.
We occasionally met in SCCC gatherings or Visalia and talked about
contesting.  I operated CQ WW DX CW 1993 from PZ5JR and Phil went there
next year (as also again in 2006).  Over the years we kept loose contact
but in 1996 when I returned to Dallas after couple of years in Hong Kong
I found out that we were working in same building with him (although in
completely unrelated companies).  In Dallas I also met Phil's 2nd wife
Karen who was battling breast cancer.  What a courageous lady.  In next
years Phil moved to New Mexico and I left to Sao Paulo in 2002 but me
and my then girlfriend Ariadne met Phil and Karen in Finland for WRTC
2002.  Soon after returning back to Brazil Ariadne was diagnosed with
breast cancer herself and Phil was 1st person I called after getting the
news in hotel room in Manaus.  He was always there over email or phone
offering support for struggling companion when in same time struggling
with same problem himself.  Ariadne made it but  eventually cancer took
Karen.

Then in last 18 months I saw Phil many times in various corners of the
world.  We were together at 6Y2Z for CQ WW SSB 2005 M/M.  Then he came
to Florianopolis for WRTC 2006 and immediately after that he spent
several days with us in Sao Paulo and attended our pre-wedding dinner
with friends and family before heading back to NM to get married himself
to his new wife.  In Sao Paulo I had many opportunities to discuss with
him of all kinds of things including contesting and life's struggles and
mysteries.  Then in October we were again together at PJ2T for CQ WW SSB
2006 M/M and we had many talks over the beer of doing CQ contest from
all 40 zones, the challenge and goal I was also contemplating.  In
January this year I met him last time for dinner in Helsinki with OH2KI
and OH2MM after CCF cruise that he had attended.  I would have never
believed it would be our last meeting.  Life is just too short.

This all in addition to countless contacts we had over the years in CQ
WW DX contests him being always in some rare multiplier QTH.  He was
outstanding operator.

We have lost great ham, contester and true friend.  I have 31 zones to
go, and I will be trying to contact him from each one of them.

RIP OM.
Ariadne & Marko N5ZO, OH6DO, PY2ZZO